This walk does have ascents and descents through Woodland.
1. Stand at the front door of The New Inn, cross the road and head left up the hill.
2. After passing Dykes Lane on your left, 30 yards up the hill on your right are a set of metal rails, stone steps, and a stile, enter the field.
3. Look for the footpath sign “Summerhouse Hill” and follow it’s direction diagonally left across the field.
4. Upon reaching the farm gate and limestone stile, enter the treeline and take the right-hand side path, keeping the
large white house (Yealand Manor) to your right.
5. Arrive at a small metal gate (look at the bottom right of the gate to see how to open it!) and enter woodland.
6. At the end of the woodland, enter the open field and follow the farm track to the far corner of the field where two footpaths meet.
7. Take the footpath ahead of you, through a stile (do not follow the Deepdale sign!)
8. When you reach a fork in the path take the right-hand path, keeping the stone wall on your right.
9. Once you reach a farm gate and stile, pass through, go right, and cross the open field, enter the woods once again.
10. Follow the path to the left and go through the woods.
11. At the end of the woods, there is a metal white bench, here you can pause and take in the view of Farleton Knott to your left, Dalton Crags in the middle and on a clear day, just behind the windmill, is Ingleborough. Enter the field and head downwards towards the white house.
12. Once you go through the small wooden gate join the road, take a right down the hill.
13. At the junction of “Footerane Lane” take a right and follow this lane passing Yealand School to return to the New Inn.
14. If you would like a longer walk, continue straight down “Well Lane”, turn the map over and follow the instructions
from point 4.